Choose a Waterproof or Moisture-Resistant Floor
When it’s time to purchase flooring for your finished basement, you may find there are too many options. Today’s remodelers can create a basement retreat that reflects their personal tastes using a variety of natural and synthetic materials. At one time, linoleum, ceramic and rubber tiles were virtually the only choices for durable basement floors. Today, homeowners find dozens of designer styles in concrete, tile, vinyl planks and natural flooring products that are engineered to be waterproof.
With so many choices, how do you pick the best basement flooring for your home? We break it down for you below.
Look for Below-Grade Flooring
Below-grade flooring is manufactured for subsurface installation, so it is more resistant to common moisture problems associated with basements. High humidity, occasional flooding or moisture seepage on concrete slabs can ruin wood floors and carpeting—and may promote mold and mildew growth. Below-grade flooring styles are manufactured to counter these problems and withstand basement water damage.
When shopping for your new basement floor, look for features like vapor barriers, waterproof materials and moisture-resistant subfloors.
Basement Flooring to Suit Your Lifestyle & Personal Taste
Once you find the waterproof and moisture-resistant flooring sections, you’ll discover nearly every imaginable look. Manufacturers have created practical and stylish alternatives to suit any purpose and aesthetic—and the right flooring turns your basement into a comfortable extension of your home and family space.
- Stained and epoxied concrete floors are easy to maintain and are known to withstand heavy use. They also create a sleek, industrial look for a competitive price.
- Ceramic tile can be laid directly onto your concrete slab for a long-lasting, waterproof basement floor. Bold or subdued colors, as well as natural wood and stone patterns, make this flooring material versatile as well as durable.
- Rubber flooring adds cushioning and shock-absorption to hard basement floors. Available in sheets or interlocking tiles, rubber flooring is a smart choice for basement workout rooms, playrooms and workshops.
- Vinyl sheets and planks are some of the most versatile choices for below-grade floors. Available as both moisture-resistant and waterproof systems, these floors add cushion and design versatility for almost any function. Designer looks range from warm wood planks to intricate stone tile patterns, making this type of flooring a decor statement and a practical choice.
- Engineered wood and laminate provide the rich look of real wood with the stabilization and waterproofing of resins. When choosing this flooring option for a basement, opt for one with a vapor barrier and moisture-resistant subfloor, as well.
- Carpeting and carpet tiles add warmth, durability and versatility to basement floors (though they are still outperformed by harder materials). Gone are the days of ugly basement carpet. Today’s choices fit any decor and color scheme while lending warmth to basement living and entertaining areas. If you go the carpet route, opt for carpeting that’s manufactured for below-grade use and treated to minimize mold and mildew growth.
Protect Your Home Investment With Blue Umbrella
Before you finish your basement and choose the best basement flooring, protect your investment by eliminating moisture from hydrostatic pressure, seepage or a flawed foundation. Blue Umbrella Waterproofing has over 20 years’ experience creating comprehensive waterproofing systems and protecting Union County basements from moisture and foundation problems. Our services include:
- French drain installation
- Sump pump back-up systems
- Exterior landscape drains
- Basement waterproofing
- Foundation repair
If you see bowing or cracks in your home’s foundation, call 908-432-8858 for a free repair estimate from the Blue Umbrella experts. Our New Jersey waterproofing professionals use minimally invasive techniques to stabilize basement walls and prevent further damage, so you can confidently transform the dark, dank area under your home into a vibrant living space for your family.
Prepare your home for winter storms by scheduling a free foundation consultation. Use our convenient online form or call 908.432.8858 today!
- Blue Umbrella Manufacturer Fortress Stabilization Systems Is ICC-ES Certified - January 12, 2023
- Feeding the Roselle Park Panthers and Cheerleaders - November 9, 2022
- Spring Into Action and Waterproof Your NJ Basement Before Hurricanes & Nor’easter - April 13, 2022